Sunday, October 28, 2012

Limitless Love

Limitless love... The term is similar to unconditional love or unlimited love, 2 other terms which make me think of God's love for us. "Unconditional love" makes me think of a love that endures and continues, no matter what. "Unlimited love" makes me think of love that never ends, that draws from a deep well, a never-ending source. However, with the word "limitless," I get more of a sense of love that transcends the ordinary limits, or walls, that we may place around ourselves or around our love for others. And this type of love has been on my mind lately.

Recently I have been thinking about one of my Persian friends. At some point early on in our friendship, she invited me into her family and said that I was like a daughter to her. And she knew I already had a mom; of course she knew that. My mom was actually the most important thing to her in her relationship with me. She would always ask about her, ask how my mom was doing, always send her love... But she knew, as many people know, that you can never have too much love in your life. And one love (like a person), does not replace, or diminish, another love (or person).

The limitless way she loved me, "adopting" me into her family and loving me as her daughter, was so life-changing for me. I had never seen love like that, love that went beyond the ordinary societal definitions of family. It expanded my perspective on families and connections and love. I had seen examples of it in books and movies (The Secret Life of Bees, Maniac Magee, Precious, You Bet Your Life, The Blind Side), and somehow, even as a young girl, the idea of an extended definition of family touched a remote place in my heart. Those were the stories I always liked. I still like, actually.

Our interactions and conversations in the community were kind of funny sometimes. When we were at the store or at an event, she would always introduce me as her "younger daughter." People would give her a surprised look, looking from her to me and back again. She would just smile, hardly ever offering an explanation. But it didn't matter; soon everyone knew me as her daughter, and would even refer to me that way. And once they all believed it, I started to believe it too. I sort of settled into the role, and knew that while I had my biological family, I also had this second, this Persian, family. This was like my bonus family, and she became my bonus mom. And, as I said above, you can never have too much love. Or too many bonus moms, for that matter. The most basic definition of a "mom" is someone who loves and cares and protects... and even, as mentioned above, loves unconditionally, unlimitedly, and limitlessly. Who can have too much of that?

Recently, at a Persian/Afghani wedding ceremony, I was looking around me and noticed that many of our college friends had gone home for the night. Those that remained were Persians and Afghanis. And I felt right at home. I thought to myself, "How did I get to this point, where I can be in a room with hundreds of Persians and Afghanis and feel like I belong?" It was a surreal moment for me. And a bit comical, because sometimes life is just so strange and wonderful.

Jesus had an interesting comment about family members. "And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee. And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren? And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother" (Mark 3:32-35). His view of family was a lot broader than what was considered the societal norm of the day. Jesus recognized the expanded definition of "family," and functioned under that definition as he preached the gospel with his disciples and followers.

Our love for people can certainly expand beyond our immediate or extended family... beyond our circle of friends, beyond people from our same culture or ethnic background or economic background. This became clear to me when one day, early in our friendship, she sent me a short email. Just long enough to include, "We never had a similar experience before. You made me to think in a broader horizon regarding people in other cultures. I never thought I could be so close and happy with someone who doesn't share the same culture yet so sensitive and full of beautiful feelings that made a difference in the meaning of the word 'relationship.'"
It was at that moment that I knew I was special to her; it wasn't just Persian "tarof" (politeness) or just words... it was how she actually felt. And this connection with her changed my life. I know it changed hers, too; she wasn't shy about telling me that, and each time she did, I felt such a warmth around me, like a big hug.

I have had so much love in my life. From family members, from friends, acquaintances, coworkers, people in my community, strangers... And with each person in my life, each experience of love, I feel God's presence. And I feel so blessed.

In my life, I hope to love like this, limitlessly, unconditionally, unlimitedly. Jesus was all about love, and if we can live and love even close to that manner, I think we are on the right track. Love love love. "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love" (1 Cor. 13:13).

No comments:

Post a Comment